Embrace the charm of classic baking with our Classic Homemade Yellow Cake. This delightful recipe brings back the nostalgia of traditional home baking, combining the richness of butter, the sweetness of sugar, and the lightness of flour to create a cake that’s both fluffy and moist. It’s a versatile cake that can be dressed up for birthdays or enjoyed plain with a cup of tea. Every slice promises a comforting, sweet treat that’s sure to bring smiles to any gathering.
The Golden Delight Yellow Cake is more than just a dessert; it’s a celebration of simple, yet exquisite flavors. This cake stands out with its golden hue and tender crumb, making it a perfect canvas for your creative decorations. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or new to the kitchen, this recipe offers an enjoyable baking experience with a deliciously rewarding outcome. It’s a testament to the timeless appeal of classic recipes, offering a taste of home in every bite.
Table of contents
Homemade Yellow Cake recipe
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ⅛ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup softened butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). This ensures a consistent temperature throughout the baking process.
- Dry Ingredients Mixture: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour, 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar, 3 ½ teaspoons of baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of salt. This step is crucial for evenly distributing the leavening agent and preventing clumps.
- Wet Ingredients Addition: Add 1 ¼ cups of milk, ⅛ cup of vegetable oil, and ½ cup of softened butter to the dry mixture. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, blend these ingredients until just combined. It’s important not to overmix as this can lead to a dense cake.
- Incorporating Eggs and Vanilla: Crack 3 large eggs into the batter, adding them one at a time. Mix well after each addition. This ensures each egg is fully incorporated. Stir in 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract for that classic vanilla flavor.
- Pan Preparation: Grease and flour a 9×13 inch cake pan or two 9-inch round pans. This prevents the cake from sticking and ensures easy removal after baking.
- Baking the Cake: Pour the cake batter into your prepared pan(s), using a spatula to smooth the top. Place in the preheated oven and bake. For a 9×13 inch pan, bake for 30-35 minutes. For two 9-inch round pans, bake for 25-30 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cooling: After baking, let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. This allows the cake to set and reduces the risk of breaking. Then, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely. This step is essential for a perfect texture and also makes it easier to decorate.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes
Kcal: 310 kcal | Servings: 12 servings
Homemade Yellow Cake FAQS
How long does it take for a yellow cake to cool?
A yellow cake typically takes about 10 minutes to cool in the pan after it’s removed from the oven. This allows the cake to set and reduces the risk of breaking when transferring it to a wire rack. After transferring to a wire rack, it should cool completely, which can take an additional 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size and thickness of the cake.
How do you keep a yellow cake moist?
To keep a yellow cake moist:
- Use the right amount of fat: Butter or oil in the recipe helps to add moisture.
- Don’t overbake: Keep an eye on the baking time and check the cake towards the end of the recommended baking time.
- Proper storage: Once cooled, store the cake in an airtight container or wrap it in plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.
- Add simple syrup: Brushing a simple syrup (a mixture of sugar and water, boiled and cooled) on the cake layers can add moisture.
- Use ingredients at room temperature: Ingredients like eggs and butter should be at room temperature to blend more smoothly, which can affect the cake’s moisture.
What makes yellow cake taste so good?
The delightful taste of yellow cake comes from:
- Butter: It gives the cake a rich and buttery flavor.
- Vanilla extract: This adds a sweet, aromatic flavor that’s classic in yellow cakes.
- Eggs: They contribute to the richness and color of the cake.
- Proper balance of sugar and salt: Sugar adds sweetness, while a hint of salt enhances the overall flavor profile.
- Leavening agents: Baking powder helps the cake rise and become fluffy, contributing to a pleasing texture.
Why is my yellow cake dry?
A yellow cake can turn out dry due to several reasons:
- Overbaking: Even a few extra minutes in the oven can dry out a cake.
- Incorrect measurements: Too much flour or not enough fat or sugar can lead to dryness.
- Oven temperature: If the oven is too hot, it can cause the cake to bake too quickly, losing moisture.
- Old or expired ingredients: Particularly leavening agents like baking powder, if not fresh, can affect the cake’s texture.
- Overmixing the batter: This can develop the gluten too much, leading to a denser, drier cake.